Saturday 13 November 2010

Where did the time go?

Where did all the time go?

For once you were small enough for me to hold in in my arms,
with fingers which curled around mine,
and soft, downy hair, like first snowfall.

You used to need me for everything,
I was your warmth, your comfort, you had only to ask
and I provided.

Even as you learned to take your first steps,
to say your first words, to feed yourself,
I was still your nurse if you fell, your dictionary, your maid.

Then all of a sudden,

You just don't need me so much any more,
you're dressed & have made your own breakfast,
you're school bag is packed and by the front door.

You have friends to home with after school,
and make your own plans for the weekend,
with just the request for a lift home sometimes.

I hardly see you any more, let alone brush your hair,
help you clean your teeth, or tie your laces.
Where did the time go my not-so-little-one?

No comments:

Post a Comment